Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Banjo Bolt

So, the broken banjo bolt has caused a lot of problems. The part is out of stock everywhere. I contacted Torresen Marine who contacted Westerbeke (who supply parts for my now obsolete Universal 5432). Westerbeke said they'd need to make new parts and it would take 7-10 days. They missed two ETAs to Torresen and when the part finally showed up, about three weeks later, it turned out to be the wrong part (it was a different part of the same assembly). I ordered another part the next day (which they did have in stock) by overnight delivery from the East coast. This turned out to be the right part but had the wrong diameter screw for my model of engine. So, about 4 weeks into this issue, I was back where I started.

Here's a picture of the bleed valve assembly.

 


I took the broken screw into a local machine shop who were able to make a new one for $75 (about the cost of overnight delivery from the East coast) and took two days. Wendy and I rushed it to the boat and had the engine running in about 10 minutes. She said I was grinning like a madman.

That's the last of the critical systems repaired and the boat's now good to go.
Sadly, we couldn't take the boat out of the yard because its jammed in three deep at the dock and we need to get the yard to move the rafters.
Bah!

I'm a little miffed that the yard still hadn't (and don't plan to) do some of the work I asked them to do back in December. They were supposed to re-install my propane locker in the stern locker with a new overboard vent in the transom, and also fit a sump pump to the shower (which drains into the bilge). At some point they decided that its not worth their effort. Its a pretty slack state of affairs, but what can you do...

No comments: